Monday, October 1, 2012

Should I take Creatine?

As previously mentioned, my leg strength is a bit lacking.  A few days ago i squatted 195 lbs for 3 reps.  I didn't do my max at the time, but it's probably 210.  My weight is 175 lbs.  So, the ratio of my squat to my weight is about 1.2, a far cry from the 'minimum' 1.5 that most jumping manuals suggest.

I was speaking about my quest with a friend today and we both commiserated on how difficult squats are.  He suggested that I take creatine.  According to him, it provided energy and strength that takes him to another level.  He is a bit stronger than me while being a lot smaller, so it gave me something to think about.

I am not a fan of taking anything unnatural, even painkillers.  It just doesn't sit well with me that I need to depend on something manufactured to maintain my body.  That being said, if I think something really works, then screw that unfounded philosophy!  My mom forced me to take theraflu when I was young and dammit it worked.  So now I take theraflu when i even think I'm getting sick.  I see people around me getting great results with creatine and through my limited research, I haven't found any real negative effects.

I'm still on the fence on this one, but if I do take it, I'll be sure to document the results.

2 comments:

  1. Hey man, don't get disheartened. It just takes time. The thing about creatine is that you have to take it every single day! You take more on the days you workout, and then a little less on your off days, but every day regardless. Do some research on it, but that is the biggest mistake most people make.

    Also, it doesn't agree with everyone. It gives me some serious stomach issues which far outweigh the benefits. But I know some people that swear by it. Give it a shot, see how you like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the encouragement. I like the idea of reaching my goal without taking any supplements so I think I'll hold off for awhile. It does seem like it would require too much maintenance as well.

      I guess I'll have to make gains the old-fashioned way - through sheer force of will!

      Delete